HOTELS NEAR MURLOUGH NATURAL RESERVE
Visit Murlough Natural Reserve when staying at the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa.
Located a short 10 minute drive from the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa Hotel is Murlough, Ireland’s first Nature Reserve. This fragile 6000-year-old sand dune system owned by the National Trust has been managed as Ireland’s first Nature Reserve since 1967. It is an excellent area for walking and bird watching due to its spectacular location at the edge of Dundrum Bay and the Mourne Mountains.
- The best and most extensive example of dune heath within Ireland
- A network of paths and boardwalks through the dunes
- Woodland and heath with an array of butterflies and wildflowers
- One of 22 butterfly species, the Marsh Fritillary, is of European importance
- Internationally important for wintering wildfowl and waders
- A haul-out site for Common and Grey seals
- Evidence of human habitation from Neolithic times, through the Bronze Age to the present day
- Access to one of the finest beaches in Co. Down
- Stunning panorama of the Mountains of Mourne sweeping down to the sea
- Self-guided nature walk, additional guided walks and volunteer events throughout the year
- Visitor Facilities
For reservations at the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, please click on the links below, or contact our reservations team now on +44 (0) 28 4372 1066.